After-School Elementary Program
EHTP’s after-school Elementary Program serves students in grades K-5 who live or attend school in East Harlem. Scholars attend program four days per week, Monday through Thursday, from 3:30 – 6:15pm.
Elementary Program provides students with an intensive classroom-based curriculum that emphasizes literacy and math complemented by a variety of enrichment activities. EHTP also provides a range of counseling services and support groups, helps students gain admission to quality middle schools, and ensures that students have the social-emotional wherewithal to meet any opportunities and challenges they may face.
All of EHTP’s programs and services are offered year-round at no cost to students and families.
In 2015, 82% of EHTP scholars in grades K-2 who were “far below grade level”
in Math moved to “approaching or at grade level” by May 2015
The school-year after-school Elementary Program weekly schedule includes:
- Eight hours of academic enrichment with professional educators, combining extracurriculars like art and music with literacy and math
- Health and nutrition instruction with experienced teachers
- Three hours of specialized homework help from dedicated volunteers and assistant teachers
- One-on-one Saturday Homework Help for targeted scholars from committed volunteers
- Healthy snack time for all scholars
During EHTP’s four-week Summer Program for scholars in grades K-5, we provide educational, artistic, and recreational activities Monday-Friday, from 8am-3:30pm. To encourage active minds and bodies during the summer months, all students enrolled in the school-year program are expected to participate in summer program.
EHTP’s after-school Elementary Summer Program weekly schedule includes:
- Fourteen hours of intensive academic instruction in literacy, math, and social studies, under the guidance of professional educators
- Fourteen hours of some combination of music, art, dance, yoga, sports, and field trips
- Afternoons consist of club activities, outdoor time, and weekly field trips
- Character education with experienced assistant teachers and EHTP social workers
- Healthy breakfast and lunch for all scholars