history

Our History

EHTP began in 1958 as a children’s reading group in a local resident’s living room; it has since grown into a multi-site after-school program for traditional public school students and a public charter school operator focused on significantly increasing the college graduation rate in East Harlem.

More than 15,000 East Harlem youth and their families have walked through our doors and improved their academic skills, developed confidence, and found community.

Until the late 1980’s, EHTP was a volunteer-run reading program. In 2008, it remained a minimally staffed (about 30 FTE’s) drop-in after-school program. As of the start of the 2015-16 school year, we are an organization with a $16 million annual operating budget that offers assessment driven, college-prep after-school and public charter school programs for nearly 1200 students, with over 170 staff and 200 volunteers working across five locations.