East Harlem Tutorial Program (EHTP) gives kids the opportunities they would have if they were born 20 blocks south. And we’ve been doing it for more than 55 years. We teach reading, math and science, provide one-to-one tutoring, prepare kids for college, help them get accepted, and build the social skills they’ll need to succeed.
Founded in 1958, East Harlem Tutorial Program prepares students with the academic skills, strength of character, and emotional well-being to excel in high school and college, to lead in their communities, and to realize their best possible selves.
Our Guiding Principles
East Harlem Tutorial Program’s after-school programs and its charter schools, East Harlem Scholars Academies, are high-performing, student-centered learning environments that are grounded in the following guiding principles:
- All children can and will succeed when provided a great education. We challenge our students with a demanding academic program and stimulating learning environment so that they develop the skills necessary to succeed in high school and graduate from competitive colleges.
- The best learning occurs when children engage in higher-order, critical thinking. To thrive in the 21st century work force and successfully pursue boundless possibilities, our students learn to question, analyze and apply their learning meaningfully. Students develop the essential critical reasoning and leadership skills to succeed in their endeavors, both inside and outside the classroom.
- A nurturing and supportive environment supports students’ love of learning and of themselves. We place a premium on students’ cognitive, creative, social and emotional growth and physical health, blending rigor with joy to ensure our scholars are inspired to learn. Students explore their individual aspirations through the school experience, developing rich personal connections to their learning.
- Self-awareness promotes dynamic leadership and global understanding. Our learning community instills in all scholars a deep sense of self-esteem, cultural pride and global responsibility so that they become active citizens of the 21st century and develop into their best possible selves. Diversity is an asset to our learning space, and our scholars are engaged with and aware of different backgrounds and perspectives as they develop a rich understanding of the world in which they live.
- Active community engagement richly enhances educational opportunities. Families and the wider community are mutual stakeholders in our scholars’ educational success. Having access to a comprehensive support system positions students to reach their fullest potential, and our scholars’ commitment to service promotes our vision of social justice and a desire to help those in need.
Click on the links to the left to learn more about each facet of our organization.